Lucky Collard Greens
Posted December 30th, 2020
It’s been said that Collard Greens bring luck at the start of a New Year. We figured…lots of greens & vibrant color…let’s give it a try! Here’s to good luck, health, and happiness in 2021 🎉
(makes approximately 6 servings with 130 calories per serving)
- 1 pound fresh collard greens, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Bell Pepper – we suggest red, yellow, or orange to give it some color
- 3 slices of Turkey Bacon (optional)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (or more depending on your liking)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add turkey bacon, if you choose, and cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, crumble and return to the pan.
- Add onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, and cook until fragrant.
- Add collard greens and fry until they begin to wilt.
- Pour in chicken broth and season with black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until green are tender.